Return to Index of 2017 Minutes

MINUTES FOR AUGUST 24th 2017

Voting members in attendance: Maryam Zar, George Wolfberg, Allison Holdorff Polhill, Richard Cohen, Chris Spitz, Reza Akef, David Kaplan, Sue Kohl, Rick Mills, Katie Braude, Cathy Russell, Lou Kamer, Barbara Marinacci, Gil Dembo, David Card

Voting alternates: Susan Payne, Barbara Kohn, Alan Goldsmith, Howard Robinson, Margarita Pagliai

Non-voting advisors and alternates: Carol Bruch, Kevin Niles, Doug McCormick 

  1. Certification of Quorum. The Chair Maryam Zar called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm and certified that a quorum was present.
  1. Reading of Community Council’s Mission. David Kaplan read the Mission Statement.
  1. Introduction of the Board and Audience. The board and audience were introduced.
  2. Approval of Minutes & Upcoming Meetings. 1) Approval of Minutes: The Chair deemed the minutes of July 27, 2017 approved as distributed. 2) Upcoming Meetings: 9/14/17. Sr. Crime presentation – West LAPD Detective unit; Leah Garland, Food & Water Watch. 9/28/17. Caruso Village Project update; Bylaws Committee, suggested review. 10/12/17. Sgt. Danny Eun from West LAPD Traffic.
  3. Consideration of Agenda. The Chair announced that the Agenda is as distributed.
  4. Treasurer’s report. Richard Cohen reported that PPCC has a bank account balance of $38,006.40. There were no significant transactions since the last meeting.
  5. Reports, Announcements and Concerns.

7.1. From the Chair.

7.1.1. Reappointing existing committees and appointing new ones – deferred.

7.2. From Officers.

7.2.1. Richard Cohen (Treasurer). Richard reported that he and Patti Post attended the PCH Taskforce meeting on 8.24.17. He reported that PCH & West Channel will shortly be improved in several ways including installation of new crash cushions and replacement of bollards which have caused damage to passing cars. PCH & Temescal – Caltrans in answer to a question reported that PCH is not wide enough to allow 3 left-turn lanes from Temescal Canyon west bound to PCH southbound. Potrero Canyon – State and City are working on state relinquishment of property on the inland side of PCH adjacent to PCH and Potrero so the City can operate and maintain the land as part of Potrero Canyon park . PCH west of Coastline Drive – LA County is working on establishing a restricted parking zone to discourage camping. A taskforce conducted on 7.19.17 to address motorcycle activity involved multiple agencies and was a reported success.

The Chair noted that at PPCC’s request, CD11 had worked with BOE to devise a list of possible alternatives when contemplating the creation of 3rd left turn lane. This can be found on our website, she stated.

7.2.2. Chris Spitz (Chair/President Emeritus). Chris reported that SB 649, which would eliminate local discretionary control over cell towers in the public right of way and on public property, is moving through the legislature with a possible vote in the Assembly Appropriations Committee (where the bill is now in suspense) possibly expected next week. Assembly Member Bloom is opposed. 11 of 13 members of WRAC are opposed. The City has not yet passed a resolution in opposition. Chris advocates for all concerned to write letters to the Governor urging him to veto the bill should it pass in the Assembly. Chris also reminded the board that she has been inputting calendar information on the PPCC website; she asked all member organizations to provide her in advance with dates and details for any public meetings and activities.

7.3. From At-Large and Area Reps.

7.3.1. Lou Kamer (At-Large). Lou suggested that PPCC has been inconsistent in approving alcohol licensing agreements. He recommended that rather than individually approve of alcohol licenses, PPCC should have a discussion and create a standard of review for CUBs. The Chair agreed. Generally, PPCC does not approve or disapprove of CUBs. Carol Bruch suggested that PPCC conduct research on other similar cities to determine whether they have specific ratios. David Card suggested that purveyors of the alcohol should be responsible. Susan Payne agrees with David Card. Howard Robinson suggested that CUBs are a discretionary land use issue and that this matter should be referred to the Land Use Committee to create a standard of review. Alan Goldsmith questioned whether PPCC was able to influence the City. When there is no consensus, the City does not look to PPCC. Richard Cohen indicated that most liquor licenses do not pose a threat to the community. Fine restaurants and a Vintage Market do not pose a problem. David Kaplan suggested if PPCC does not approve of the CUBs in the Palisades, people will consume alcohol outside the Palisades and drive in. Tom Creed (audience) complimented Lou for bringing this conversation forward. The Chair agreed to refer the matter to the PPCC LUC for a set of standard guidelines PPCC can follow in discussions of upcoming CUBs. She noted that the City looks to us for consensus, and weighs it heavily when/if we can show consensus in opposition. Otherwise, they apply their own standards of review, and hold public hearings to hear from individuals impacted in the community.

7.4. From Organizational Reps.

7.4.1. David Card (Rotary Club). David announced that Rustic Canyon Recreation Center is hosting its annual gala Rustic Night fundraiser on 9/23/17. To purchase tickets go to  www.laparksfoundation.org.

7.4.2. Susan Payne (Chamber of Commerce). Susan reported there will be a free Speaker Series Event on 9/5/17 from 7-9pm at the Women’s Club. Go online to the Chamber of Commerce website and register. Successful business owners of Café Vida and Elyse Walker will speak about how to develop thriving businesses.

7.5.  From Governmental Representatives.

7.5.1. LAPD Officer Michael Moore, Palisades SLO. Michael reported that crime is down 13%. He stated that Caption Tina Nieto has taken a new position as Police Chief of the City of Marina. The Beach/Homeless detail will continue to be deployed.

7.5.3. Lisa Cahill; Office of Councilmember Mike Bonin – Deferred.

7.5.4. Fernando Morales, Office of County Supervisor Sheila Kuehl. Fernando reported that more monies will be going onto housing. Flex funds are back and available for homeless transitions. Multi-disciplinary teams will be rolling out into local communities; Women and Girls initiative; Movement away from Polystyrene; Conservatorship; $75,000 for each project.

7.5.5. Tim Harter, Office of State Assemblymember Richard Bloom. Tim explained that ASM Bloom introduced 13 housing bills because CA is not producing enough homes, in particular low-income homes. LA County needs more low-income housing. AB 1505 restores the ability of the government to takeover rental housing. AB 1506 allows for localities to enact rent control. AB 1521 increases funding for affordable housing. SB 35 stimulates construction of affordable housing.

7.5.6. Allison Towle, Office of State Senator Ben Allen. Allison suggested that ideas for bills should be submitted to the Senator. Local support of proposed bills is important. SB 35 (Wiener) allows for streamlined development of previously developed urban parcels for critically needed housing. Sen. Allen is running a package of bills known as Preserve California. SB 235, Judicial Ballot Designation – limits candidates’ creative job descriptions. SB162 prohibits marijuana merchandising. Sen. Allen and LAUSD Board Member Nick Melvoin are coordinating a College Application Day at Fairfax High School on 10/14/17 from 10 am to 1:00 pm. Volunteers are welcome to assist high school students with college essays and UC applications.

7.6. From PPCC Advisors – None.

  1. Reports from Committees.

8.1. Village Project Community Liaison Committee (VPCLC); David Kaplan, Co-Chair. David reported that the Caruso Village Project is running on time. PRIDE will be involved in coordinating off-site harmonizing streetscape improvements with Caruso and other community organizations. The Chair has appointed David and Chris Spitz to represent PPCC in the effort.

8.2. Land Use Committee (LUC); Howard Robinson, Chair. Howard reported that the Committee had a public meeting today before the PPCC board meeting and held an initial discussion of the ADUs (granny flats) ordinance. He also announced that he, the PPCC Chair and Chris Spitz had a meeting with new Senior City Planner Debbie Lawrence to discuss Planning process related to the Permit Streamlining Act (PSA) and notice to PPCC of planning and land use hearings and deadlines. Debbie is working to institute procedures to prevent future invocation of the PSA and she has committed to relaying to PPCC all deadlines and hearing notices in short order.

  1. General Public Comment.

Leah Garland, Food & Water Watch, stated their group is standing together against neighborhood oil drilling. They have put forward a motion calling for studying the health impact of neighborhood drilling. Ms. Garland passed out a magazine entitled, “Drilling Down.” 628,000 people live close to active drilling; most are low income.

Faith, Food & Water Watch, stated that the largest gas blowout was in the San Fernando Valley (SFV). Playa del Rey has a similar gas storage facility to SFV.

  1. Old Business – WRAC-recommended motions; deferred due to lack of time.
  2. New Business – None.
  3. Adjournment.   The Chair adjourned the meeting at 9:02pm.

Return to Index of 2017 Minutes