PACIFIC PALISADES COMMUNITY COUNCIL AWARDS
(Scroll down for Honoree Archive)
Pacific Palisades Community Council honors individuals who have made voluntary contributions to Pacific Palisades that benefit the community at large.
PPCC has honored community contributions in the following ways: as a former co-sponsor with the Palisadian Post of the “Citizen of the Year” and “Golden Sparkplug” Awards and as sole sponsor of the “Community Service” Award. Beginning in December 2015, as the sole sponsor of all awards, PPCC awards honorees annually with the Citizen of the Year Award (combining the prior “Citizen of the Year” and “Community Service” Awards) and the Golden Sparkplug Award.
Citizen of the Year Award:Honors those whose contributions to Pacific Palisades have been both a recent effort resulting in a substantial benefit to the community, and a steady, reliable long-term history of service to the Palisades.
Golden Sparkplug Award: Honors those who have an idea and effort resulting in an original contribution to Pacific Palisades that benefits the community. The Golden Sparkplug Award ceremony is held in conjunction and in cooperation with the Citizen of the Year Award.
The Awards Event, sponsored by PPCC, shall generally be held on the 2nd Thursday in December in conjunction with the Board’s annual holiday party and in lieu of its regular meeting, but exigent circumstances and any conflicts with religious holidays are to be considered. The PPCC Chair makes the opening remarks at the Event and presents the Award to each honoree, with each Award honoree and members of their immediate family being guests of the PPCC.
Guidelines for these Awards, procedures for selection and the Awards Event, and the names of past honorees are set forth below. The Guidelines are recommended practices that allow flexibility in interpretation, implementation or use.
- GUIDELINES: CITIZEN OF THE YEAR AWARD
- PURPOSE: The purpose of the Citizen of the Year Award (“Citizen Award”) is to honor long term and continuing outstanding volunteer service as well as a recent extraordinary accomplishment by an individual that resulted in a substantial benefit to the Pacific Palisades community-at-large.
- NOMINATIONS: Any organization or individual in the community may nominate a candidate. There is no limit on the number of nominations an individual or organization may submit. Nominations must be submitted in writing to the Chair of the Pacific Palisades Community Council at PO Box 1131 or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by October , 201. The nomination for the Citizen Award must both (a) state the nature of the extraordinary recent accomplishment done by the candidate that resulted in a substantial benefit to the community at-large and (b) summarize the candidate’s steady, reliable, long-term service within the community.
- RECIPIENT: The recipient must be an adult individual who resided in the Pacific Palisades (within the PPCC Area boundaries) at the time the accomplishment and the long-term services were rendered. Each recipient’s service should be of a voluntary nature and not be any beneficial outcome of official, financial, business or professional work or occupation that the recipient is engaged in. The Citizen Award shall not be given to any PPCC board member based on services directly related to his or her responsibilities as a board member, although long term services may be considered as qualifying factors. There shall be only one Citizen Award given each calendar year.
- AWARD: The Citizen Award shall be chosen and prepared by the Awards Selection Committee and presented to the recipient at the Pacific Palisades Community Council December Meeting/Holiday Party/Award Event. The Citizen Award shall be given based on the quality or benefits achieved of work and not the quantity of nominations.
- GUIDELINES: GOLDEN SPARKPLUG AWARD(S)
- PURPOSE: The purpose of the Golden Sparkplug Award (“Sparkplug Award”) is to honor those citizens who ignite ideas and projects into community action that benefit Palisadians throughout the community.
- NOMINATIONS: Any organization or individual in the community may nominate a candidate. There is no limit on the number of nominations an individual or organization may submit. Nominations must be submitted in writing to the Chair of the Pacific Palisades Community Council at PO Box 1131 or by email (email@example.com) by October , 201. The nomination for the Sparkplug Award must state (a) the nature of the original idea, effort or project, (b) in what way the effort or project benefitted the community at-large and (c) how the effort or project was initiated, in progress or completed during the current or prior calendar year.
- RECIPIENT(S): The recipient(s) must be individual(s) who owned real property located in, resided in, or operated a business located in Pacific Palisades (within the PPCC Area boundaries) at the time the services were rendered. Both adults and youth are eligible for the Sparkplug Award. While there may be multiple recipients in a given year, the Sparkplug Award may be given to only one member of a particular group or community. Each recipient’s service should be of a voluntary nature and not be any beneficial outcome of official, financial, business or professional work or occupation that the recipient is engaged in. The Sparkplug Award shall not be given to any PPCC board member based on services related to his or her responsibilities as a board member.
- AWARD(S): The Sparkplug Award shall be chosen and prepared by the Awards Selection Committee and presented to the recipient(s) at the Pacific Palisades Community Council December Meeting/Holiday Party/Award Event. The Sparkplug Award shall be given based on the quality or benefits achieved of work and not the quantity of nominations.
- GUIDELINES: SELECTION AND EVENT COMMITTEES; COMMITTEE COMPOSITION; SELECTION PROCESS; AWARDS EVENTa. AWARDS SELECTION COMMITTEE: The Chair shall appoint a Committee of not less than three (3) current board members, plus one previous “Citizen of the Year Award” recipient not currently serving on the board and one previous “Community Service Award” recipient not currently serving on the board (if such persons are available to serve) to review the nominations and select the person to receive the Citizen Award and the person(s) to receive the Sparkplug Award(s). The Awards Selection Committee (“ASC”) shall select both the Citizen Award and Sparkplug Award(s) recipients. Prior to the ASC selecting a person or persons for the Award(s), the ASC Chair shall circulate by email to other current members of the Board a list of those persons who have been nominated and ask that if any members of the Board desire to submit comments about any nominee, they should submit any comments to the ASC Chair to be received within five days. The ASC is not obligated to select any recipients for the Citizen Award or Sparkplug Award(s) if in the ASC’s judgment no nominees meet all qualifications for such Award(s).b. OPTIONAL SPECIAL RECOGNITION: From time to time in special circumstances, the ASC may determine, at its discretion, that an individual who is not a resident or qualified in all respects for the Citizen Award or Sparkplug Award should receive “Pride of the Palisades” recognition for extraordinary service to the Palisades community. In such case, the name of the individual shall be circulated to the Board for comments as set forth in section A above. After consideration of Board comments, should the ASC then select that individual for “Pride of the Palisades” recognition, all procedures set forth in sections E.3-7 below shall also apply to the individual to be honored with this recognition.c. AWARDS EVENT DATE: No later than 9 months prior to the event, i.e., March of each calendar year, the Chair shall establish the Event date and the venue and notify the Palisades Chamber of Commerce to place the Event date on the community calendar.d. AWARDS EVENT COMMITTEE: No later than the first meeting in October, the Chair shall establish the Awards Event Committee (“AEC”). The Chair and the Chair of the AEC shall establish the deadline for the selection of the Citizen Award and Sparkplug Award winners and coordinate publicity for the request for nominations. The AEC Chair shall coordinate the Event details, such as budget, menu items, and dinner ticket cost, paid reservation procedures, decoration, event ceremony, complimentary dinner tickets, parking, and other assignment of duties and tasks for the night of the event.e. TIME FRAME & PROCEDURE:
1) First October Meeting: Distribute Award Guidelines and discuss the Awards. Appoint AEC Chair and committee members. Submit press release to relevant publications soliciting nominations. Appoint ASC Chair and committee members.
2) The last Saturday in October: Deadline for receipt of nominations.
3) First Week in November: The ASC meets in person to open nominating letters and sort by names into youth and adult categories. Check for multiple nominations in one envelope. Review nomination letters. Review comments from the Board. Evaluate how well the candidates meet the guidelines and sort into 2 groups: those requiring no further consideration and those eligible for further consideration and selection. The ASC shall discuss merits of each potential award winner. The ASC shall vote; however, no committee member who nominates shall vote when that nomination is considered, and no committee member shall vote for him/herself or a family member. The ASC Chair shall complete a synopsis of the committee’s efforts and shall notify the Chair of the efforts and the award recipient(s).
4) Early November: Immediately following receipt of the ASC Chair’s synopsis and results, the Chair shall notify the winner(s) prior to any public announcements, notify the press, local elected officials and dignitaries who will be invited to the event, and authorize the preparation of the award plaque(s).
5) Early November: The AEC Chair shall follow up with a written notification of the Award winner(s) and event details such as reservations and parking, submit the biography of the winner(s) for press release, and mail or email or post invitation letters to the prior “Community Service Award” and “Citizen of the Year Award” winners.
6) PPCC November Meeting: ASC announces award winner(s), notifies the winner(s), notifies the press and the Board of Governors. AEC provides details of the Awards Event and invites recipients to the event.
7) PPCC December Meeting: The Awards Event, sponsored by PPCC, shall generally be held on the 2nd Thursday in December in conjunction with the Board’s annual holiday party and in lieu of its regular meeting, but exigent circumstances and any conflicts with religious holidays are to be considered. The PPCC Chair makes the opening remarks at the Event and presents the Award(s) to each honoree, with each Award honoree and members of their immediate family being guests of the PPCC.
8) Any future revision of the Awards Guidelines shall be upon recommendation of the Executive Committee and subject to a vote for approval by the PPCC Board.
CITIZEN OF THE YEAR HONOREES
1947 John Pixley
1948 Ethel Wilson
1949 Alta Swanson
1950 Mrs. E.J. Kennedy
1951 Robert Wilson
1952 Phyllis Genovese Keely
1953 Robert Norris
1954 Gertrude McBride
1955 Sylvia Morrison
1956 Arthur Loomis
1957 Betty Linton
1958 Ah Wing Young
1959 Dotty Larson
1960 William Hinchliff
1961 Anna Priolo May
1962 Edna Oleson
1963 Russell Q. Olsen
1964 Albert Smith
1965 Paul Spring
1966 Coline Wade
1967 M. Michael Martini
1968 Ralph Mckee
1969 Vahe Simonian
1970 Vivian Braun
1971 Tom McKiernan
1972 Robert Abernethy
1973 John Gabrielson
1974 Ray Logue
1975 Robert McMillen
1976 Carlisle Manaugh
1977 Joseph Raymond
1978 Gloria Stout Nedell & Jim Stout
1979 Wally Miller
1980 Jay Kuilee
1981 Eva Holberg
1982 Herb Furth & Joe Jelikovsky
1983 Sandra Schaefer
1984 Bob Hamilton
1985 Rubell Helgeson
1986 Zola Clearwater
1987 Joan Graves
1988 Roger Diamond
1989 Flo Elfant & Kit Festa
1990 Martha Lane Brown
1991 Randy Young
1992 Lloyd Ahern & Harold Waterhouse
1993 Merle Price
1994 Lila Gordon
1995 Mort & Bobbie Farberow
1996 Hal Maninger & Charles Mcglothlin
1997 Bill Grieb
1998 Kurt Toppel
1999 Carol Leacock
2000 Randy Young
2001 Mitzi Blahd
2002 Mindy Marin & John Neidlinger
2003 Mike Skinner
2004 Stuart Muller
2006 Emil Wroblicky
2007 Bob Jeffers
2008 Marie Steckmest
2009 Rose Gilbert
2010 Rich Wilken
2011 George Wolfberg
2013 Rob Weber
2015 Sharon Kilbride
2016 Daphne Gronich
2017 Bruce Schwartz
COMMUNITY SERVICE HONOREES
1996 – Margaret Jose, Nancy Markel
1997 – Malcomb Abzug
1998 – Barbara Manaugh, Susan Oakley
1999 – Dorothy Bissell, Ron Dean
2000 – Bernice Park
2001 – Jack Allen
2002 – Deborah Held
2003 – Norma Spak, Frances Tibbits
2004 – Bill Bruns, Carol Hurley
2005 – Dieter and Eva Holberg
2006 – No Award
2007 – Cindy Simon
2008 – Mary Cole, Haldis Toppel, George Wolfberg
2009 – Shirley Haggstrom, Paul Glasgall, Ethel Haydon, Barbara Kohn
2010 – Andy Frew, Sigrid Hofer, Arnold Hofer
2011 – Rob Weber, John Wilson
2012 – Marguerite Perkins-Mautner
2013 – Ernest Marquez
2014 – Judi Watson
2015 – Community Service Award merged with Citizen of the Year Award
GOLDEN SPARKPLUG HONOREES
1974 – Kate & Pete Ahrens, Vergene Bollens, Anna Priolo May, Lance Lee, Bob McMillen, Wally Miller, Shirley & Jim Solomon, Ed Staley, Ted Tennant
1975 – Ruth Block, June Chase, Ian Grant, Jeff Kool, Shelley Rosenberg, Winston Salser
1976 – Allan Elfant, Joe Jelikovsky, Margie Moore, Margaret Richards, Gloria Stout, Betty Thrower
1977 – June Blum, Maddy Garland, Cheryel Kanan, Mary Pitts, John Prough, Eula Thompson
1978 – Herb Furth, Robert Hamilton, June Payne, Sandy Schaefer, Rubin Smulovitz, Jim Stout
1979 – Richard Brodkin, Fran & Vic Brucher, Rubell Helgeson, Mike Lanning, Gene Romig, Burt Wuttken
1980 – Anne Goldfarb, Ted Green, Eva Holberg, Jean Pearson, Brian Shea, Arnie Wishnick
1981 – Jean Dillingham, Bobbie Farberow, Bob Neubacher, Jack Sauer, Hank Ullerich, Del Wright
1982 – Deede Cady, Ethel Haydon, Don Lindsay, Bernice Park, Lelah & Townley Pierson, Chris Vatcher
1983 – Joan Graves, Rich Wilken, Al & Anita Sobelman, Pam Bruns, Jackson Steffes, Philip Hollingsworth
1984 – Paul Brown, Vern Peterson, Kathy Alexander, Cecile Billauer
1985 – Harold Vieau, Breck Wilson, Flo Elfant, Davic Janney
1986 – Bob Benton, Philip Leacock, John Lewis, Deann Wilken
1987 – Lisa Benscheidt, Ed Dillingham, Martha Brown, Betty McKenzie, Tom McKindley, Chris Price, Bill Bruns
1988 – Kit Festa, Peter Fleming, Marianna Ullerich, Harold Waterhouse, Randy Young
1989 – Lila Gordon, John Meyers, Karen Stone, Ron Wolf
1990 – Sarah Adams, Dorothy Bissell, Kat Kozik, Paula LeBrot, June Payne
1991 – Maria Bane, Everett Maguire, Adrian Sanders, John Scherrer
1992 – Lloyd Ahern, George Billauer, Diane Hill, Phil Kamins, Irma Landa, Sophie Ravitz, Didi Carr Reuben
1993 – Jack Allen, Patty Beckwith, Rita Dalessio, Rita Gilmore, Dick Schmsky
1994 – Maureen Cruise, Bill Davis, Dottie Knight, Carol Leacock, Denise Melas, John Raitt
1995 – Loretta Ditlow, Margaret & Madison Goff, Carol Hurley, Lloyd Segal
1996 – Richard Blumenberg, Brandon Brough, Alex Man, Candida Piaggi
1997 – Bill Grieb, Klaus Radtke, Kurt Toppel
1998 – Stuart Muller, Susan Temple
1999 – Mitzi Blahd, Deborah Lloyd, Blake Merkin, Loretta Mazorra
2000 – Helen Cutler, Susan Nash, Larry Niles
2001 – Ted Mackie, Bob Sharka
2002 – Diane Wolfberg, Neil Selman
2003 – Larry Jacobs, Carole Kenney, Nelson Clay Willis
2004 – Bob Jeffers, Roger Woods
2005 – Jim Blumel
2006 – Marie Steckmest, Steve Lantz, John Wirth, Deborah Hafford
2007 – Lisa Taylor, John Grosse
2008 – Amy Madnick, Dave Card
2009 – Ilene Cassidy, Dick Littlestone
2010 – Eric Bollens, Marge Gold, Linda Jackson
2011 – Barbara Marinacci, Keith Turner
2012 – Kelly Comras, Sam Lagana, Colleen McAndrews
2013 – Susan McInerney, Leslie Pereira, Bruce Schwartz
2014 – Susan Corwin, Bob Harter
2015 – Laurel Garver, Laurie Sale, Doug Suisman
2016 – Sylvia Boyd, Patrick Hart, Amy Lundberg, Karen Stigler, Veslemoey Zwart
2017 – Tom Creed, Matthew Rodman, Marie Steckmest, Debbie Warfel
PRIDE OF THE PALISADES HONOREES
2014 – Bill Bruns
2015 – Pacific Palisades Task Force on Homelessness
2016 – Bob Benton
2017 – Nancy Klopper