Return to Index of 2014 Minutes
MINUTES FOR MAY 8th 2014
Voting Members in Attendance: Barbara Kohn, Chris Spitz, Jennifer Malaret, Janet Turner, Sue Kohl, Kelly Comras, Richard Wulliger, Harry Sondheim, Brenda Theveny, Stuart Muller, George Wolfberg, Joyce Brunelle, Paul Glasgall, Andy Frew, Gil Dembo, Jim Rea, Cathy Russell, Donna Vaccarino, Mark Roosa and Bill Snyder.
Voting Alternates: Adam Wolman and Reza Akef.
Non-voting Advisors and Alternates: Eric Dugdale, Laura Mack, Craig Au, Richard Cohen and Steve Boyers.
Start of Business Meeting
1. Reading of Community Council’s Mission. Gil Dembo read the Mission Statement.
2. Call to Order and Introduction of the Board and Audience. Barbara Kohn called the meeting to order at 7:04 pm. Introduction of the Board and audience.
3. Certification of Quorum. The President certified that a quorum was present at 7:08 pm.
4. Adoption of Minutes. The President deemed the April 10, 2014 minutes adopted as corrected. Next Meetings: May 22, June 12 (PPCC Officer Elections) and June 26, 2014.
5. Consideration of Agenda. The President considered the agenda.
6. Treasurer’s Report. Ted Mackie was not in attendance. Janet Turner reported that the Citizen of the Year dinner was a financial success thanks to the support of local organizations, the Tribute Book prepared by Jim Rea and residents. Janet reported that final numbers are being were being prepared.
7. Reports, Announcements and Concerns.
7.1. Announcements from the President, Barbara Kohn.
7.1.1. Report/Recap/Thank You’s Regarding the Citizen of the Year and Sparkplug Gala Dinner Event. Barbara Kohn thanked all of those involved in organizing the event. Janet Turner reported that the event was profitable for the council with net proceeds still to be determined but likely enough to support the next newsletters. Janet thanked the organizations and donors who contributed towards the event and PPCC’s success.
7.1.2. Citywide LAFD ‘Open Firehouse’ Celebration – Saturday, May 10, 2014 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM; Stations 23 and 69. All Neighborhood Fire Stations in the City of Los Angeles will be expecting your visit. To increase community awareness of LAFD services, the Los Angeles Fire Department designates the second Saturday of each May as Fire Service Recognition Day. This year, the highlighted fact is: “Fire Burns. Smoke Kills.”
7.1.3. Outreach/Election Process Committee. Barbara announced the appointment of Steve Boyers, Janet Turner, Chris Spitz, and Laura Mack to the committee.
7.1.4. Area Representative 2014 Elections. Bylaws Article VIII, Sec.1(B)(2). “Area Representatives shall be elected by the residents of each area. Candidates must be residents of the area in which the candidate is running for office. The PPCC newsletter prior to the election newsletter shall set forth the manner in which a resident can become a candidate . . .” Barbara announced that candidates must declare their intentions in writing by June 1, 2014. Barbara directed the board members to read the Bylaws.
7.1.5. Start of PCH Sewer Project – http://pacificpalisadesevents.blogspot.com/2014/04/clean-water-inceptor-sewer-project.html.
7.1.6. Archer School DEIR. Comment letters were submitted by PPCC (ref: April 10, 2014 meeting) and the Brentwood Community Council (“BCC”). Anyone interested in the BCC letter or for further information, please contact Chris Spitz.
7.2. Announcements from Governmental Representatives.
7.2.1. Los Angeles Police Department (“LAPD”) – SLO Officer Moore.
Paul Glasgall gave the report. Paul stated that (1) In response to the Highlands Fire, Paul and PPCC is working on putting together a meeting with LAFD, LAPD and Highlands President’s Council representing to discuss problematic issues during the fire. Paul said that fire is an on-going arson investigation. Discussion: Barbara stated that there are conditions where the fire road must remain open during a fire. (2) The Tesla individual was taken in for evaluation. (3) Burglaries involve criminals accessing homes through open doors and even dog doors.
7.2.2. Los Angeles City Council, District 11; Councilmember Mike Bonin’s Office. www.11thdistrict.com. Norman Kulla in attendance.
Norman reported that (1) the City of LA budget hearings are in effect and there is a computer link for the public to hear the councilmember’s comments: http://www.11thdistrict.com/2014-15 budget. (2) Kelly Comras asked about the local tree trimming and road paving. Norman stated that he did not know but thought that the trimming was related to DWP or safety relative to power lines. (3) Gil Dembo asked about the progress on Potrero Canyon. Norman stated that the final design is in process. Norm reported that one resident declined to give a right of entry such that seven residents will not have their properties stabilized. (4) Chris Spitz asked about the revised cell phone tower ordinance that was to have been referred to the DWP for comments regarding the utility pole situation. Chris asked if Norm and/or Mike could contact Mike Feuer and/or DWP to follow-up. (5) George Wolfberg asked about the Village Green relative to the formation of the Business Improvement District. Norman has been following up with the City Attorney and the City Clerk.
7.2.3. Office of Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, Daniel Tamm Westside Area Representative, Mayor’s Interfaith Liaison (*attending on the 4th Thursday of each month). Mayor’s Website: www.lamayor.org. City Services webpage: http://www.lacity.org/CitywideServices/index.htm. MyLA Phone App: http://www.lacity.org//MyLA311/index.htm. [Not in attendance.]
7.2.4. California State Assembly, Office of Assemblymember Richard Bloom’s Office. http://www.asmdc.org/bloom. [Not in attendance.]
7.3. Announcements from Board Members and Advisors.
7.3.1. Officers/Area Representatives – Report on Behalf of Areas.
(1) Kelly Comras reported that the Chabad wall at the corner of Sunset and Los Liones is under construction and complies with applicable regulations. (2) Stuart Muller asked individuals to note the Native Plant Garden on Temescal Canyon Road.
7.3.2. Organizational Representatives – Report on Behalf of Organizations.
(1) Eric Dugdale reported that the next Historical Society event will take place on Monday, May 12, 2014 at 7 p.m. and includes a documentary film entitled “Saving a Scared Rancho in the Canyon.” Ernie Marquez will be there and signed books will be sold, admission is free, street parking, refreshments will be served and the public is invited. (2) Joyce Brunelle reported that the Chamber of Commerce is having their Annual Expo May 18, 2014 from 10 am to 2 pm. The event will have classic cars, merchant booths, music, etc. Joyce encouraged all members of the board and public to attend. (3) Mark Roosa announced that the St. Matthew’s Town Fair will be May 17, 2014 from 10 am to 4 pm. (4) Richard Cohen announced that TCA will be starting their Tuesday evening hike program May 13, 2014. General starting times are 6 PM at the Temescal Canyon Hiking lot. The first hike will be in Will Rogers park. Hikes are generally three miles and end approximately at 8 PM.
7.3.3. Board Member Announcements.
(1) Santa Monica Canyon Civic Canyon Association holds it annual meeting on Tuesday May 13, 2014 at 7 pm at the Rustic Canyon Historic Club House. Featured speakers include Mike Bonin.
8. Reports from Committees.
8.1. Land Use Committee (“LUC”) – Chris Spitz, Chair.
LUC Report: The Land Use Committee did not meet in May, 2014. The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday June 5, 2014 12:45 – 2:45 PM in the Library’s Community Room. All board members and the public are welcome to attend. The likely topic of discussion will be the Specific Plan.
9. Old Business — None.
10. New Business.
10.1. PPCC 2014/2015 Officer Elections.
Report of Nominating Committee. Officer Nominations remain open until closed fifteen minutes before adjournment at the second meeting in May, i.e., May 22, 2014. The election of PPCC Officers shall take place at the first meeting in June, i.e., June 12, 2014. New Officers shall serve a 12-month term beginning on July 1, 2014. Reference and Discussion of PPCC Bylaws Article VII. Janet Turner reported that Dick Wulliger, Kelly Comras and Janet Turner met to interview the slate for 2014/2015 PPCC Officers. Janet stated that Richard Cohen has been nominated for Treasurer. Jennifer Malaret has been nominated as Secretary. Andrew Wolfberg has been nominated for Vice Chair. Chris Spitz has been nominated for Chair. Each of the nominees accepted the recommendations of the Nominating Committee. Barbara announced that nominations from board members were now open for any officer position.
11. General Public Comment.
11.1. Jim Rea asked about the new newspaper that is being circulated. Sue Pascoe reported that she is working with the American Legion 283 and Manfred Hofer to provide a complimentary paper to Palisades residents with information relevant to the town. Sue stated that PAPA has decided to have the American Legion print the advertising for the 4th of July Parade Program this year. Steve Boyers encouraged the paper to be sent also to the 90402 zip code.
11.2. Eric Dugdale stated that the Historical Society would be giving a scholarship to a graduating senior at Palisades Charter High School.
12. Adjournment. Barbara Kohn adjourned the meeting at 9:02 PM.